We're all building something, whether or not we like to admit it. Always in the corner of our minds or within the pages of that favorite note-taking app or notebook.
It’s that one dream that gets us all warm and fuzzy inside, itching to share with the world. Whenever you finally decide it's time to unleash it, we have put this piece together to guide you as you build-out the dream.
In our most recommended read at a small studio, "The Infinite Game," Simon Sinek drops the truth bomb; organizations aren't finite sprints with winners and losers but rather infinite games where the goal is to keep playing and making a positive impact on the world. He emphasizes the pivotal role of trust-building and vulnerability in unlocking the magical power of creativity and longevity.
Vulnerability is that secret component that turns ordinary teams or dreams into extraordinary ones. It's the willingness to ditch that safe cocoon to embrace uncertainty and take daring risks.
Encouraging vulnerability fosters an environment where everyone can freely share ideas, take audacious leaps, and explore uncharted territories without fearing the judgment of others.
Teams that huddle together to openly discuss their mishaps, failures, and facepalm moments become more innovative. They unleash their problem-solving prowess and experience a higher level of collective satisfaction. Being open with one another is a deliciously reliable recipe for cooking up innovation and sustaining creativity.
Countless examples exist to support this position, and it is pretty odd that loads of organizations still choose to eliminate vulnerability in totality…Suspicious 🤨.
Let your guard down as you build, and show your human side to create a strong web of trust that makes Spiderman's web feel like dental floss😎. This trust foundation will propel you into a realm of collaboration and innovation where no challenge is too daunting or mind-boggling.
We came bearing our perspective, but we also brought applicable and practical tips for you, so here goes;
- Lead Vulnerably: Share your uncertainties and failures with your team while creating an environment where they feel safe to do the same.
- Communicate Openly: Build a culture where comfort exists for thoughts, opinions, and ideas to be openly shared regardless of hierarchy.
- Feedback Constructively: Let empathy flow through the feedback process to encourage growth and competence.
- Embrace Teachable moments: Encourage calculated risks, and do not be quick to punish failures; view them as learning opportunities.
- Foster Mental Safety: To inspire creative risks, all interactions should be imbued with trust and respect.
If we could summarize our perspective into four words for a T-shirt or a poster, it would be;
Be an Empathy Nerd!